Tildenville Church of God in Christ was organized in 1938 under
the leadership of Elder Charlie Hayward. The church was a small one-room
shack located on low land. Whenever it rained, the members would have to
move to find a dry place to sit.
Not long after the church was formed, Minister David Thompson and
his family moved to Winter Garden and became members of the church.
Shortly after their arrival, Superintendent Lewis Hart asked Minister
Thompson to oversee the church until he could be ordained. Minister Thompson
was ordained in 1949 and was appointed as pastor of the church.
Elder Thompson continued to serve as pastor for the next 60 years,
until his demise in 2009.
Under Elder Thompson’s leadership, the church began to grow and
the congregation soon realized a new sanctuary was needed. The landowners
in the area would not sell the land to the church, but agreed to sell the land
to Elder Thompson, who paid off the land and deeded it to the church.
Tildenville Church of God in Christ was constructed in its present
location in 1950 by Pastor Thompson and the members of the church. They
would work their regular jobs during the day and work on the church at night.
The church has been a central part of the Tildenville community.
Under Pastor Thompson’s leadership, several ministries were implemented
including Youth Ministries, Couples Ministry, Mother’s Board (Women’s
ministry), Community Outreach ministries, and a radio ministry.
Pastor Thompson also served as Pastor of the historic Bay Street
Church of God in Christ from 1951 until 2000 and as District Superintendent of
the Orlando District from 1977 until 2009, overseeing nine churches in Central
Several pastors, ministers, evangelists, missionaries and deacons
were trained under Superintendent Thompson’s leadership. Elder Elliott Brown is
one of these ministers. After being ordained in 1992, Elder Brown served as
Superintendent Thompson’s assistant for several years. Following Supt.
Thompson’s homegoing, Elder Brown was appointed as pastor of the church by
Bishop Harvey David Bryan.
Under Pastor Brown’s leadership, Tildenville COGIC has continued
to uphold the legacy of ministry and service to its members and the community,
building and expanding the existing ministries and also implementing a Men’s
Ministry, Prayer Line and our First Friday Fresh Oil Services. Many new
members have been added to the ministry.
The church building was completely renovated in 2010, adding central air
and heat, a sound booth, new pews and stained glass windows. Additional
property has also been purchased adjacent to and across the street from the church to allow for future
expansion/growth of the ministry.
We have come this far by faith, and we are moving forward by
faith, with Divine Purpose into our Destiny.